Friday, July 8, 2011

Loving my Nook

There are 4 types of reading material on my Nook:

1. Subscriptions to MacLife and Asimov's
2. Sample books
3. Books I've purchased
4. Fanfic

The biggest category is the fanfiction - story length, novella length, and novel length.  Stargate Atlantis, Supernatural, Inception, Torchwood and even some Merlin.  Either I download them from the marvelous Archive of our Own, or from the Ebook Library or I copy and paste into Sigil (thanks Jenn!>). So far I've got about 60 of my favorite works and I'm very happy to re-read them time and time again.

Book purchases - well, I've got Greg van Eekhout and Nick Mamatas and Michael Faber and Megan McDonald and a bunch of others, but here's the thing - my purchase limit is 4.99.  More than that, it goes on the wish list for later.  I can't sell the ebook back at the used book store or a yard sale, so I'm a lot pickier about what I spend the money on. I needed a copy of Pat Conroy's The Lords of Discipline and the ebook was 9.99, a used copy 2.99 at the store. So hello used copy! 

I'm a sucker for many ebooks at 0.99 and 1.99, that's for sure.

Magazines - well, now that I'm not in SFWA anymore I would buy the Bulletin, but it doesn't seem available.  Clarkesworld is available on Kindle but not Nook yet.  I would love to get Tin House but alas.

The sample books are actually for studying openings of bestsellers.  I don't usually buy them, but I can study structure, tension, mood, etc.

I heart my Nook more than I thought I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment