Friday, January 6, 2012

Write more in 2012

Just in time for all those New Year's resolutions, my latest video!  I had a lot of fun thinking about what makes a writer productive and playing around with Flckr, iMovie and Macjams.

True story:  my first novel, which is in a box under my bed and will stay there forever, took 4 years to write. That's first draft only.  I only wrote when I felt "inspired" or when I had days off from work.  My second one (also under the bed) took about 18 months. After trial-and-error I got the process down to 6 months. Now, depending on the length, a first draft takes 3-4 months, and the rewrite about 2 months.

In 2011, I wrote 9 stories and sold 8 of them. I also wrote gay teen book #2, and rewrote that. I rewrote book 4 of the Outback Stars and wrote/revised another ya book.Let's say about 250,000 words total. I consider that okay prolific.I mean, it's not Jay Lake levels of prolific, but still pretty darned good along with teaching 6 classes a term at 3 different colleges.

I think I can do better in 2012. So I made this video to remind myself of how to stay on track, and hopefully there's something in there that can help other writers too (like my favorite software) (or the picture of the blanket toss)(or the pirate joke).

 It's 3 minutes long.  Please check it out and tell me what you think, or how I could improve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment